How to get a Green Card



If you have had the opportunity to visit or study in America and fallen in love with the country, more than once you might have visualized yourself singing “The Star Spangled Banner” with pride. So how to become a permanent resident of this melting pot?

**The MOST COMMON ways:

1. FAMILY based: Parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of US citizens (at least 21 years old) are prioritized to obtain a green card. There is no limit to the number of green card that can be issued in this category.

2. EMPLOYMENT based: A permanent job opportunity can definitely make you eligible for a green card. Some special categories of jobs are in preference:

– Broadcaster
– International Organization Employee
– Physician National Interest Waiver
– Religious Worker


INVESTMENT based: Entrepreneurs who invest a million dollars or at least $500,000 to create ten permanent full-time jobs for qualified US workers are eligible to apply for a green card. (America is highly in favor of profit).

**The other and LESS COMMON ways:

1. SELF-PETITION: Some immigrant categories allow you to file for yourself (“self-petition”). This option is available for either “Aliens of Extraordinary Ability” or certain individuals granted a National Interest Waiver.

2. K Non-immigrant: The K-visa categories for fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens and their accompanying minor children (K-1 and K-2 visas) were created to speed up the immigration process for such individuals so they could travel more quickly to the United States.

3. Legal immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act: enable certain individuals who are present in the United States and would not normally qualify to apply for adjustment of status in the United States to obtain a green card (permanent residence) regardless of:

– The manner they entered the United States
– Working in the United States without authorization
– Failing to continuously maintain lawful status since entry

4. ASYLEE status: If you were admitted to the US as a refugee or qualifying member of an asylee, you can apply for a green card a year after your entry in the States.

Last but not least, a green card holder of at least 5 years can apply for US naturalization.

Good luck with your American dream!


Jen Tran – Social Media Assistant

Learn more about Greenhandshake.