An International Student’s List of Things to Prepare For


When you study abroad as an international student, you bring with you a different and unique perspective based on education and culture in your country. Surely, there would be policies in your new school that would seem confusing to you. Other people may also feel awkward about some of the mannerisms you’re used to. Though these would all be good memories in the future, you need to ensure that you keep constant communication with your friends and relatives at home. This would allow you to cope from the inevitable culture shock you would experience in the new environment. 

Before you arrive at the country of the international college you’re going to study at, you need to accomplish your paperwork and you must consider and use some tips so you can have a good start.

International Students Office

When it comes to travel arrangement plans, you can get help from the international student’s office in your school. The office can help you arrange travels specifically in the immediate areas within the school. In particular, you can get help for concerns such as financial aid, applications, and others. You should grab the opportunity of contacting the school to ask for professor recommendation. This is particularly helpful if you are going to take any degree related to public administration. Asking for recommendations would give you an idea about how you would feel when already getting the degree.

Travel Visa

It is important that you know the three basic types of visa. These are M1, J1, and F1 Visa. Each type will have a different effect on the kind of work or job you can get when abroad. The M1 Visa won’t allow you to work. It will only allow you to stay in the U.S. for vocational or non-academic school. The J1 Visa has some restrictions when it comes to work. The restrictions depend on your sponsor’s visitor program. It will allow you to have access to practical trainings that are not available in your own country. Lastly, the F1 Visa will allow you to work for one year in the U.S. but only after you have graduated in your chosen degree. So, this type will allow you to enter the U.S. for academic studies and then work later after graduation.

Travel Expenses

Generally, traveling abroad particularly to the U.S. is expensive. However, you may be able to cut on travel expenses depending on the type of transportation you use. You can greatly cut on your cost when you book weeks or months before your flight schedule. It would also help you to get the best deal when you look for bus and train rates online. The Southwest Airlines, for example, can give you the best rate when you book directly with them.

The Means Test

You won’t be allowed to study in the U.S. if you haven’t proved you can support yourself. Savings is the only way to prove it. Potential income and work in the U.S. while you study won’t help you.

With these, it is really crucial that you have clear plans and that you have talked with the department in the school you are interested to study in.

Marian Moore – Social Media Manager

Learn more about Greenhandshake